Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hero Character Sketch



“Get Up, Lets’ Go!”


“Get up, lets go!” she says in a high pitch voice. Trying to ignore her I roll over in my bed. “Come on, get up” she says once more with a smirk on her face and her hands placed on her hips. I turn to look out my window, the sky still a light gray and the sun not fully out. There she is, standing in my doorway waiting for me to get up. She’s serious, she’s really not moving till I get up I thought to myself. The clock read 6:30 am. And with a loud groan I turned over and covered my face with my quilt. “Put your shorts on and let’s go,” she says even louder as if I didn’t hear her the first time. Not really sure of what was going on, my cousin and I got up and threw our shorts on. “Were going to the beach,” she says with a smile drawn across her face. I look into her brown eyes, tiered and still puffy. Her curly hair puffed out like a lions. Great, she’s done it again I thought. Another one of her crazy ideas. The breeze blows my hair from my face as I catch a glimpse of my mom. The waves barely reaching her feet. The mocking sound of seagulls fills the background as she stands there with her back facing me. I can’t help but to smile at the thought of me walking the beach so early on a summer morning. I try not to be too surprised. This is the kind of stuff my mom does all the time. She comes up with these crazy ideas, and does anything to follow through with them. I watch as her and my cousin kick water at each other. Her brown frizzy hair sways wildly as the wind blows in her direction. Tiny splashes of water drizzle onto her clothes. The loud sound of crashing waves fills my ears leaving me wide awake. The smile on her face says it all. “Get in, don’t be a party pooper,” she yells facing me. I smile and refuse to walk anywhere near her. I know she’s just waiting to get me wet. Drenched in water she slowly approaches me. With a smile on her face she grabs a hold of me. Her long arms wrap around my back as she hugs me. Her wet clothes stick to mine making a small, squishy sound. She squeezed tightly before letting go, leaving me soaked. The strong smell of salt water lingered on me. I watch as she walked away, her feet wet and covered in sand. Leaving a trail of big footprints behind her. She’s done it again. Done something to make everyone else have a good time. Not saying it works every time, because it doesn’t always make us have a good time, but it’s the thought that counts. She always goes out of her way to make us happy. No matter what, she always puts us first. I turn to see her dripping in water smiling back at me, her smile stretched from ear to ear. She drags her feet across the muddy sand and lets out a quiet laugh that echoes my way. The strong smell of seaweed and salt water fill my nostrils leaving me a bit light headed. I turn to my cousins one drenched in water and the other shaking her head with her arms crossed. I burry my feet in the fresh sand and smile. “She’s done it again!” I mutter under my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment